Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Snails and Snakes


Today I took a little walk with the boys over to Reams to get a few groceries. Across the street from our house is Hobble Creek which flows pretty quickly this time of year and there is a bunch of growth all around the creek. We were walking on the sidewalk by the creek on our way to Reams and we saw a little snake on the side of the sidewalk. It quickly slithered away before any of us could get a good look at it, but we were pretty excited. I really think snakes are cool(little non venemous ones that is). Anyway, we continued on to the store and on the way home we were watching and waiting...we saw another snake laying out on the sidewalk in the sun. I tried for a while to catch it but kept chickening out at the last minute, I was 99% certain it was only a little garter snake, but I didn't think the risk was worth it, but we had fun trying. We also found a lot of snails along the sidewalk. Coen was a little afraid to pick them up, but I'm not afraid of snails at all, so we collected a few and brought them home to make a little home for them. They were fun to watch for a little while, and then we set them free to go make more snails. I am excited to see what other little creatures we will find coming from the creek through the summer.

4 comments:

GiGi said...

You were brave to even try to pick up snakes Meg. Must bring back memories of your youth. Remember the snake you kids tried to have as a pet? It didn't stick around too long. Love you!

Porter Family said...

You are amazing. I can't even see snakes on TV without getting the heebie jeebies. Don't even get me started on bugs...:) You're such a good mommy.

The Cornett Family said...

How fun! You guys sound like you are having a fun summer so far! P.S. - you look really cute pregnant too! I'm jealous!!!

Brynne said...

I used to LOVE stuff like that. I bet the boys thought you were such a cool mom!