The sun shone through the clouds, groceries were all unpacked and shelved, the girls were sleeping soundly in their beds, all making the perfect time to take off the training wheels. Atlas had been ready for a while and I had been dragging my feet. So I reluctantly got out the tool set and with tears in my heart and a smile on my face he helped me pick out the perfect size tool and remove the proper nuts and bolts to officially take off the training wheels. To dig the nail in deeper, he did it all by himself, Atlas, my baby boy, I can't lie to myself anymore and say that he is too little, because he isn't. In reality he is getting bigger and I couldn't be more proud, he is sweet and kind, he is smart, he can read, I speak and he hangs on my every word, it makes me more careful about what I say because I know he is listening. So I told him he could do it, and he believed me. I told him I was right by his side as he got used to the balance of his bike. I told him where to put the pedals and where to put the his feet and I only had to tell him once. With his hands on the handle bars and my hand on his seat off he went. I had to let go sooner than I wanted because, well, he was ready even if I wasn't. And as he rode around the cul-de-sac all by himself without his training wheels I was jumping for joy and squeeling with pride while my heart was sobbing. I saw him fly that day, on his big boy bike. He was so ready he didn't even fall once and in a matter of moments he was a pro. He kept saying, "This is way more fun than before." So he rides on with a little more freedom but if he gets any bigger I am sending him to Neverland where he will always be my little boy and I always know where to find him. Thank you for letting me share your special moment with you Atlas!
Sunday, March 11, 2012
No more training wheels
Posted by Meagan Zastrow at 9:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This was just precious and brought tears to my eyes. I know how you feel Meagan and I truly love our little Atlas! They grow soooo fast. Hold on as long as you can. Love you all.......Gigi
Post a Comment