Monday, February 9, 2015

Christmas Break

Christmas this year was very relaxing.  We got together with Brittany and Alan on Christmas Eve and really just relaxed most of the time.  
I had one of those moments that I had been dreading for a while....I got the question, "Mom, is Santa real?"  This time it came from Atlas.  All of the other kids were around so I gave him a quick, "Of course," and then went about my business.  But I knew that it was time to address the reality of Santa Clause with my highly intelligent and observant Atlas before he lost faith in me.  So I thought and prayed about how to talk with him about it and with a heavy heart walked into his room on Christmas Eve praying that I could keep the spirit and magic of Christmas alive.  By the time I left his room, I had learned more about the spirit of Christmas and felt even more in awe of the tender heart and faith of little children.  I told him that Santa Clause was a symbol of Christ and the spirit of giving, and not a real person, he hung his head a bit but when I told him that Saint Nickolas was a real man with a generous spirit who Santa Clause evolved from and Atlas said with a big smile, "Well that make me feel better."  We talked about Christ being the most important part of Christmas and that just because santa doesn't sneak down the chimney to deliver presents and reindeer don't fly, doesn't mean that Christmas magic doesn't exist.  I think we ended our conversation with his telling me that anything is possible and that he was glad that I told him the truth.  I was a little concerned that in the morning some of the magic would be gone, but he was just as bright eyed as ever and kept (secretly so his sister's wouldn't hear) telling me "Thank you so much".  Later on Christmas day he came to me and said, "Mom, I am so glad you told me about Santa Clause or I would never know what you do, and when I am a Dad, my kids would not have gotten any presents in their stockings!!"  That boy is always thinking 20 years ahead.  Merry Christmas!

 We did puzzles
 Made gingerbread houses
 Wore our Christmas jimmies
 Saw Gunny Clause
 The day after Christmas we took a weekend trip to Raleigh to go shopping, go to the temple and spent a day at the Marble's Children's Museum.


0 comments: