Monday, December 8, 2014
Last month all 3 of my school age kids got awards for their academics in school. Coen got on the principal's list for getting straight A's (even in his 7th grade math class). Atlas got 3 awards: 1 for high grades, 1 for enrichment (from his gifted and talented teacher), and 1 for perfect attendance. Emily also got 3 awards: 1 for P.E., 1 for gifted and talented, and 1 for high grades. I am so proud of my kids for all the hard work that they put into their schooling and so grateful that they get to see some of the benefits of learning and working hard. I also recently got this letter from Atlas' gifted and talented teacher.
Dear Mr. And Mrs. Zastrow,
I am sending you another email to tell you about my work with Atlas. We meet
every Monday and Tuesday, one-on-one. He continues to do very, very well in
math. He may be one of best math students I have had in the last 10
years..... Not only is his math aptitude as high as it is, but his attitude
is a great success attitude - he never complains about anything being too
hard, but simply tackles work with an open mind. With that kind of effort, he
is going to continue his incredible progress in mathematics. Right now he is
flying through the 3rd grade curriculum. By next year I will have him in my
4th/5th grade advanced math class.
By the time he gets to 6th grade, he will be doing 8th grade math. In 8th
grade, many schools allow students to begin high school math, but if not, he
should be doing an on-line math course earning high school credit. And, of
course, in high school he will be earning college credit in math. I don't
mean to rush through his childhood - LOL - I am just letting you know what I
see in his future. I work with many of the same students from 2nd through
5th grade. Then I keep in touch with many (it's hard to let go sometimes!)
through middle school, on into high school. I am confident he will continue
the trajectory he is on!
Becky Malecki
My hope is that my kids use their gift of knowledge to make this world a better place and that they continue to find joy in learning.
Posted by Meagan Zastrow at 5:56 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment