Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chillin San Diego




Alright, so many people dont know a few things...first Meagan writes all the blogs. Second, I am writing this one about my trip to San Deigo. The Navy offered an all expenses paid trip for me to go to SD for a few days to check out their medical facilities, and all because I am considering having them pay for dental school. I couldn't take many pictures as most places are under security and specifically prohibit it. But I did manage a few. The ship is the USS Germantown. Its the smallest class of amphibious assault vessels operated by the Navy, known as an LSD. Basically they haul the marines and their beach storming boats. There's a landing pad for 2 helos on the back portion and the front portion is basically everything else. On board there's only one doc and one dentist. The operatory for the dentist's side is about the equivilant of the smallest closet you could imagine and still consider it a walk in. The pharmacy isn't much bigger, but the "hospital" portion is. After all, they do major surgeries on board if necessary. It was pretty awesome to see, and amazing to think of actually working there. The ship just got back from a tour of the Pacific, including Bahrain, Vietnam, Hawaii, etc. I dont remember all the places they went but those are some of the highlights I guess.

The building is Balboa hospital, where Aunt Debbie was born. It has all been modernized and is pretty impressive. I had a chance to tour the oral surgery clinic and see what hospital dentistry is all about. They offer hospital residencies for dentists if interested, its a one year program and you can learn to do more than most dentists, like open up collapsed airways, stitch major lacerations, and all sorts of cool stuff. They have residencies for for a variety of interests, all at full pay, and a hefty bonus every year after just for doing it. A major focus of the Navy now is to aid others, whether boats in need or humanitarian. They took a war ship and staffed it with 400 medical personel and no sailors just to do humanitarian work. Practicing in those conditions throughout the world would be a blast.

We didnt get to see the USS Mercy as it just left for a humanitarian mission. The Mercy is a medical ship. It was going to Vietnam, Australia, Guam?, etc for 6 months just to serve those populations with advanced medical care. Apparently too there is an option of serving missions with the marines. They set up camp hundreds of miles from the front lines and let dentists and doctors do their thing. Sound like fun? I think so. Besides, we all know I was meant to live and make friends all over the world!! And Alan, if you're interested...the Navy has a spot for you too!

The hazy picture is of a carrier as we were driving by. Man those are massive. Oh and for those of you wondering...the dentists wear scrubs. The only one I saw in uniform was the director of the dental clinic. And even at that its only during work hours...7-4p. For the most part its your own job, without the financial struggles :-)

2 comments:

M said...

wow, i had no idea! i'll have to see if Dave is interested.

GiGi said...

Your trip looks like it was very interesting. Hope things work out. Lots of decisions to make!